Venturing further into the world of beauty blogging, I have decided to dig out my top 10 most-loved beauty products of the summer to share with you guys! I know a lot of beauty bloggers/gurus like to do “monthly favourites”, but I feel like I don’t try enough new products a month to write anything interesting. I think seasonal favourites would be easier for me to do!
These products have been tried and tested by me, and I absolutely love them. Note that they may not work for all skin types: I have oily-combination and sensitive skin, so adjust according to your needs.
First off, we have my favourite nail polishes of the summer:
1. They’re both by Essie, and they’re Mint Candy Apple and Cute As A Button.
Mint Candy Apple is probably my favourite polish out of my whole collection- it’s such a flattering and unique colour, eye-catching yet not being too over the top. It’s the most perfect shade of mint I’ve ever laid my eyes on. I hunted through probably 4 or 5 drugstores till I found this in a Shoppers.
Cute As A Button is something I picked up by chance. I REALLY wanted a bright pinkish coral, because all the pinks I have are soft pastels, and I noticed that Shoppers was doing a sale on Essie polishes. So during my work break I ran over, swatched a bunch of corals and pinks, and ended up with this one. What I love about it is that it is the perfect combination of pink and coral. It’s not too much of either, and actually looks different under different lighting. It’s so vibrant, but it’s still not too in your face. My perfect summer colour!
2. This is my holy grail product of the summer. I discovered this in May and haven’t stopped using this since. I was on the market for a powder foundation because I felt that liquid foundation was too troublesome to apply and take off, I didn’t need such heavy coverage, and less is more in the summertime. I picked this Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Powder up at Target, and I’m obsessed with it.
As you can see, it has been very well-loved (the photo above is a repurchase, this is the current one I’m using). I can get away with just wearing this, it’s quick and easy to apply (and remove!), it looks and feels super light, letting my natural skin show through, keeps my skin matte, and cuts down my time to get ready in the morning. Also contains SPF 15.
3. If I need a little bit more coverage, I opt for the Sonia Kashuk Concealer Palette. This is honestly the first concealer I’ve ever actually liked, because concealers normally cake up on me and don’t blend well. These concealers are so creamy and blendable, and meld right into my skin.
It comes with two flesh-toned concealers, a green-toned neutralizer, and a setting powder. I use the lighter flesh-toned shade under the eyes, the darker one for blemishes (matches my skin tone perfectly!), and the green neutralizer around the nose area where it tends to be red. I don’t use the powder because I usually set everything with a powder anyways, but it’s still worth it because I can use all 3 concealers.
4. The product that I wear every single day, without fail, is my beloved Vichy Capital Soleil SPF 30 Facial Sunscreen. This has been a HG product for 3 summers now and I can’t live without it. Since I have fair skin that freckles/burns easily, I have to always protect it with sunscreen. This particular one is light, blends in easily, doesn’t break me out or make me look oily, and looks good under makeup.
Wearing sunscreen everyday is important as it really slows down the aging process and helps prevent skin cancer and discoloration, and it’s good to start early for prevention rather than later to fix wrinkles/blemishes.
5. While I’ve developed very good habits with facial sunscreen, sometimes I forget about the protecting the rest of my body. But as I said, I freckle and burn very easily, especially on my arms, so I have been trying hard to get into the habit of wearing sunscreen all over my body. This Vichy Capital Soleil SPF 30 Sunscreen for Face and Body has been my go-to this summer.
It’s a tad too oily for my face, but perfect for my body. It doesn’t leave that sticky texture that you find with a lot of sunscreen (which I absolutely hate), and doesn’t irritate my skin. Another summer must-have!
6. This is my second summer using The Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying Day Cream, and I basically can’t live without it. It is the only cream that doesn’t leave any residue on my face, actually mattifies my skin, and doesn’t irritate or break me out.
It has a very light, gel-like texture, and feels cooling and refreshing on the skin! It absorbs very quickly, leaving your skin matte yet moisturized. As you can see, I’m almost through with this travel size. I think I’m on my 4th travel sized jar this summer!
7. This is my favourite cheap find of the summer! I had tried an ELF blush earlier on and hated it, but this shade is amazing! The ELF Studio Blush in Pink Passion is beautiful, pigmented, long-wearing, and best of all only $3! The camera doesn’t do it justice: it’s actually this bright hot pink shade that is very flattering on the cheeks! Even though it’s hot pink, it doesn’t look fake or unnatural when applied, but instead it gives you a nice flush of colour on your cheeks. The formulation and packaging is comparable to NARS blushes, of which I own a few! But it’s 10x less expensive, which makes this blush a very cost-effective option.
8. This is the second Freeman mask that I’ve tried, and my first-ever peel-off mask! The Freeman Facial Cucumber Peel-Off Mask makes your skin feel so clean without drying it out, feels nice and cooling, and is very affordable (ranging from 2.99 – 4.99). One tube will last you for ages! You apply it and leave it on for ~10 minutes, and when you peel it off, it’s the neatest thing ever, like seeing all the gunk on your skin being peeled away, leaving your face feeling squeaky clean!
9. The Boscia No Pores No Shine T-Zone Treatment is my holy grail oil control product all year round. I’ve repurchased this countless times, and even though it’s a steep price ($44 CAD), one tube will last you for a long time. It mattifies my t-zone like no other. I only use this on my nose, because that’s where I get the most oily, and I use this day and night. I can’t live without it (and believe me, I’ve tried- and failed).
10. And of course, we can’t finish off a beauty favourites post without a lipstick! This has been the perfect summer shade for me: the Maybelline Color Whisper in Who Wore It Red-er is the perfect balance of red and pink, and instantly brightens up your complexion without being too over the top. I like my deeper reds during the Fall/winter, and more pink-ish lipsticks during the summer.
This is a comparison of the colour in the tube vs. the colour swatched. It looks really red in the tube, but comes out a bit pinker. The formulation is very light and moisturizing, but with that being said, it doesn’t have much staying power. If you eat or drink it will definitely come off. For that reason, I prefer the Revlon balm stains or lip butters over these lipsticks in general.
I hope that I gave anyone who was looking to try out new products some inspiration, and that you enjoyed reading this post! I’m still relatively new to beauty blogging, so hopefully this was thorough and in-depth enough of a review. I hope to be doing more review-type posts in the future, so stay tuned!