Now that school is back in full swing, I thought that I’d make a blog post about my beauty essentials for school specifically. It’s a stressful time for all of us students, and these products just help make things easier and brighten up my day. Most of these have been well-loved and trusted by me for years, so keep reading!
1. First off: the most basic essential. Clear lip balm. Now I love my Burts Bees and have for years, but I picked up this Maybelline Baby Lips about a month ago because I wanted a lip balm with SPF, and I LOVE it! It’s so moisturizing and emollient, sits well on the lips, and smells like sugar and citrus fruits. Even if you’re going without makeup for the day, keeping your lips moisturized is important. Plus, it’s got SPF 20!
2. Continuing with the lippies, this is my all-time favourite lip colour. And that’s saying something cause I am a lipstick hoarder. This is the Revlon Just Kissable Balm Stain in Honey. I received this as a gift last year, and I’ve loved it to death ever since. I even got quite a few of my friends hooked on this! It’s such a wearable, everyday MLBB (my lips but better) shade that is universally flattering on many skin tones, it has incredible staying power (it actually stains your lips without drying it out!), and it’s affordable. What’s not to love?
3. Believe it or not, groomed eyebrows can make a big difference in your appearance, and especially in photos! Your brows frame your face and your eyes, and taking that extra minute to touch them up will make you look instantly more polished and put together. This is especially important if you’re going through company recruiting or networking sessions (commerce kids, you know what I’m talking about. It’s not just the suit that counts). My favourite brow wax is the ELF Eyebrow Kit. It comes with a little dual-ended brush for on-the-go touchups, but I prefer to use an angled eyeliner brush to apply this. It stays all day and best of all, it’s only $3! Definitely worth a try.
4. This is probably my favourite thing out of all these products. The Boscia Super-Cool De-Puffing Eye Balm has been a lifesaver for a sleep-deprived student like me. Getting out of bed when you’ve barely slept is hard enough, but you can help ease the pain with this eye balm. Just swipe it on your undereye area (read: eye bags) and you will instantly feel this AMAZING COOLING, REFRESHING SENSATION. I don’t even know how to accurately describe it. It’s absolutely amazing and helps to really wake up your tired eyes, and the sensation lasts for about an hour for me. I’ve tried many undereye rollers but they all fall short compared to this. It’s a steep price at $36, but it’s worth it, and one tube will last you for ages! You will thank me during those inevitable zombie mornings this semester.
5. I’ve stated in a previous post that I don’t really like concealers cause they tend to crease on me, especially in the undereye area. However, this Benefit Stay Don’t Stray Eye Primer also doubles as an undereye concealer & brightener.
It’s a sheer formula as you can see (I didn’t blend the swatch out at all), but it absolutely will not crease, and helps to brighten up those dark undereye circles from staying up all night studying. This is the only thing that has worked for me for years, and it never fails. So if you have problems with creasing, give this a try!
6. Let’s say you’re running late but you still need to look nice and polished for something. The L’Oreal Magic Souffle Cream Blush in Plume is the perfect on-the-go blush to stash into your makeup bag. This matte pink shade will complement any makeup look, from a bare face to a smokey eye, and is so easy to use: Just lightly press your finger against the blush, dot it a few times on your cheeks, and blend with your finger. No fussing with brushes or powder fallout. Just a natural, healthy flush that brightens up your complexion!
7. I’m really picky about hand creams, mostly because I don’t like lotions in general. They leave behind a sticky film and I am one to constantly wash my hands to feel clean. However, over the past year I’ve noticed that during the wintertime, my hands get really dry. This has never happened in the past, so I tried a bunch of hand creams until I finally came upon this one. The L’Occitane Dry Skin Hand Cream is my HG, and this little tube has lasted me for ages! It’s so emollient and deeply moisturizes, but absorbs quickly into my skin and doesn’t leave any residue. A staple in my makeup bag!
8. Okay. This is the one thing I can’t leave my house without. I have supremely oily skin, especially in the nose area, and have to blot twice a day usually. Shiny isn’t a good look on me. I’ve tried so many different types of oil sheets but I just keep coming back to this one. The Clean & Clear Oil-Absorbing Sheets does the job like no other. These especially come in handy when you have P.E. Class in high school, or you have to make an unexpected sprint for the bus or from class to class.
They’re not actually papers, which is what most of them out in the market are, but blue films that actually soak up all the oil. Yeah I’m going to stop cause it’s kind of gross, that’s as much detail as I’ll go into. If you have oily skin, try these! They are a total lifesaver. I always have them around with me.
9. I don’t know about you guys, but when I stress out over school, I simultaneously break out, and it sucks (my skin tends to be so nice during summer!). This is my favourite non-prescription acne treatment. The Clean & Clear Popped Pimple Drying Paste has really high reviews all over the Internet, and for good reason. You apply this before you go to bed, and when you wake up in the morning, your acne will be dried up and diminished, less inflamed, and just less prominent.
It works especially well if you have a tendency of popping pimples. This will help minimize any scarring left behind and heal it quickly. I never pop pimples, but sometimes you can do so by accident (ie: scrubbing at your face too roughly with a washcloth). This is for bedtime use only, as it dries to a bright white colour (like the swatch above) and I don’t think anyone wants to walk around outside with this on their face.
10. I am not usually big on perfumes, but I will always have a rollerball or atomizer stashed in my bag for emergencies (ie: P.E. class in high school, crashing at a friend’s place and not being able to shower, etc). I received the Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue EDT as a birthday gift from my friend, and I love the fresh, clean scent of this perfume! It’s very wearable for everyday and not overpowering.
I was pleasantly surprised when I took off the cap and saw that it was a spray bottle, and not a rollerball! Rollerballs are a cost efficient way of trying new perfumes, but can be kind of gross (sweat can dilute the true scent of the perfume). Sprays are more hygienic and easier to use. This scent is sophisticated, understated, and clean, all of which I love. It won’t overpower the senses of the person sitting next to me, so it’s wearable for school as well.
I hope you enjoyed reading this post! I have wanted to post for quite some time, but have been ridiculously busy and each blog post takes a lot of time to create. If you swear by any products for the school year/wintertime, I would love to know! More beauty-related posts will be coming up soon, so stay tuned, and have a great school year!